Jumbo Minds books were designed to increase literacy both in English and Science. The content of the pages progress from simple to more complex to allow for personalized learning opportunities. Our use of the OpenDyslexic 3 font increases readability.
Reading strategies will depend on the reading ability of each child. Some options are:
- point to the letters and say their phonetic sounds
- read the vocabulary word and short definition and repeat them out loud
- associate the definition with the illustration
- read the short and long definition, discuss the concept, and connect with the child’s experiences
- encourage questions related to the word and concept, and research answers
- perform an activity together that increases understanding of the word and concept. (Refer to the activities in the back of the book and Jumbo Minds’ online videos for activities that support scientific learning.)